Today, we published the following General Availability (GA) releases:
- Titanium SDK 6.0.0
- Appcelerator CLI 6.0.0
- Appcelerator Studio 4.8.0
We’d like to thank the Appcelerator Community members who contributed to this release:
- Flavio De Stefano for exposing new properties to the iOS navigation bar (TIMOB-23684) and exposing the “statusBarBackgroundColor” property (TIMOB-23691) on iOS
- Rene Pot for adding the “responseHeaders” property on Android (TIDOC-2628)
- Stephen Feather for implementing the iOS 9 text styles (TIMOB-23584)
- Michael Gangolf for implementing text field padding (TIMOB-16512), fixing filed upload progress by adding setChunkedStreamingMode (TIMOB-20483), adding rotation, rotationX, rotationY, scaleX, and scaleY to view (TIMOB-23423)
- Manuel Lehner for enabling Media.openPhotoGallery to select multiple media items instead of one at a time (TIMOB-14382)
Before You Upgrade
Titanium SDK 6.0.0 GA is a MAJOR release that requires updates to your apps. Please read through the release notes BEFORE you upgrade.
Here is a list of breaking changes for SDK 6.0.0:
- Removal of Ti.include: Ti.include has been deprecated since version 3.3.0, but is completely removed with 6.0.0.
- Node.js: SDK 6.0.0 brings full Node.js support. Node 4.20 is the new minimum supported version, 4.6.x is the maximum supported version.
- Xcode: Xcode 8.0 is the minimum supported version
- Deprecated APIs: Please see this table to see how it would affect your projects.
- watchOS 1: The watchOS 1 template and all related code are no longer supported
- Listen to androidback: This version changes how the override of default behavior for the back button on Android works.
- Logging system and TCP ports: Port number is determined at build time, never at run time.
- Rebuild Android Modules: Android titanium modules must be rebuilt with V8. For an example, check out Tim Poulson’s step-by-step blog on the subject.
- If you upgraded SDK to version 6.0.0, we strongly urge you to upgrade Studio to version 4.8.0 to avoid any backwards compatibility issues.
- Hyperloop 2.0.0+ requires Titanium 6.0.0+
Other Notable Items in the Release
Here are a few more notable features and improvements of this release:
- Ability to enable Multi-dex to avoid the 65k method limit during Android builds
- Ability for apps using <use-jscore-framework> to use Studio debugger. On iOS, you will need to turn on true. Also, you can use Safari to debug your app.
- Support for iPhone 7 Haptic Engine API
Plus, we also published a completely revamped version of our KitchenSink Sample App!
- TIMOB-23761 – Hyperloop: Errors when running project with LiveView and Hyperloop enabled
- TIMOB-24037 – Android: Debugging not working with Hyperloop enabled with run-on-main-thread set to true or false
- TIDOC-2553 – Studio Troubleshooting: Launch issue in Windows 64-bit machines. If your default Java environment is set to 64-bit, then you need to add the following argument in the Appcelerator.ini file (found in the installation directory):
- TISTUD-8613 – iOS Debugger: Breakpoint is not hit for the first time for a clean Alloy project. When a clean Alloy project is debugged on iOS, the breakpoint is not hit. However when the same project is debugged again without cleaning the previous project build, the breakpoint does hit successfully.
- TISTUD-8639 – Android Debugger: Extra call frames shown in debug view whose source file is not shown on click
The Debug View shows extra call frame that point to ti:/module.js file. Clicking on any of these call frames will show “Source not found.”
- TISTUD-8655 – Studio: Logs show 403 error when checking for updates
These releases include 194 bug fixes, 48 improvements, and 30 new features. For a more detailed overview, known issues and closed tickets see the following links:
- Titanium SDK 6.0.0 GA Release Note
- Appcelerator CLI 6.0.0 GA Release Note
- Appcelerator Studio 4.8.0 GA Release Note
Update Appcelerator Studio
If you changed the update type to Release Candidate Build to get the RC, then you can switch back to Stable Release now and check for updates.
Update Appcelerator CLI
Studio will update the CLI and SDK for you. To update them from the command line:
[sudo] npm install -g appcelerator appc setup
If you plan to use Hyperloop 2.0.0+, you will need Titanium 6.0.0 or later. To use Hyperloop 2.0.0, update to Titanium SDK and CLI 6.0.0, then create a new project from the command line using:
NOTE: The above update only works using appc cli 6.0.0. Entering
appc config set lastUpdateCheckTiDownloads null before
appc run will trigger modules download.
If you run into any issues that seem related to the updates, please report them on JIRA.
First, check if it’s a known issue you can watch. If you can’t find an existing ticket, then create one in the Appcelerator Community (AC) project and add as much relevant information as you can, including the release version you are using.
You can leave general comments as a reply to this blog post.