According to our compatibility matrix and a prior post on the developer blog, Titanium 1.8.x does not support Xcode 4.3. That said, we understand that a lot of developers have already updated to Xcode 4.3 and need a way to continue developing with Titanium. While official support for Xcode 4.3 won’t be available until Titanium 2.0 (slated to be released in April), we and the community have come up with a few solutions to keep you creating apps with Titanium.
You’ve got 2 choices…
1. Downgrade to Xcode 4.2.1
The safest and most stable way to continue developing Titanium apps with Xcode is to simply downgrade back to XCode 4.2.1. If you have an Apple iOS developer account, you can still find the “Xcode 4.2.1 for Lion” download available here:
For specific instructions on how to uninstall Xcode 4.3 and then install Xcode 4.2.1, check out this brief walkthrough provided Kevin Farrow in our prior blog post regarding Titanium and Xcode 4.3:
2. Live on the edge with Xcode 4.3So as I stated, Xcode 4.3 isn’t officially supported by Titanium yet, but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible to use. In fact, I’m using it myself. That said, there are a few things you’ll have to do manually to be able to use it. A combination of community contributions and Xcode bug squashing will give you the opportunity to use the latest Xcode before it hits an official Titanium release.
- Upgrade Mac OSX to 10.7.3 from “ -> Software Update”
- Download and install Xcode 4.3.1
- Run Xcode 4.3.1 and install any necessary components if prompted. It is not required to delete prior Xcode versions, but you can if you want to.
- Install Xcode 4.3.1 command line tools from “Xcode -> Preferences -> Downloads”
- Download and extract ios-sim-xcode4.3.tar.gz
- Copy the new
ios-simexecutable to any Titanium SDK paths you are using. For example, if you are testing with Titanium 1.8.1 and 1.8.2, you would do the following:
- Create a new project, or clean an existing one, and build for the iPhone/iPad simulator and you’ll have your Titanium app running against Xcode 4.3 and iOS 5.1!