Titanium Mobile 1.8 and Titanium Studio 1.0.7 are now available for immediate download. With these latest additions to the Titanium integrated mobile development platform, developers can speed up their apps, deploy to more platforms and build apps more quickly than ever!
To help our developer community come up to speed with this huge release, we’re hosting a SEVEN WEBCAST series on January 5-13 we’re calling "Titanium Week" . Learn about the new Titanium products, ask questions of Titanium engineers, hear from experienced Titanium community members and take full advantage of all that is possible for mobile success with Titanium. Webcasts are targeted toward both novice and experienced Titanium developers. Check out the agenda and register.
Read on to learn more about the many reasons to upgrade to Titanium Mobile 1.8 and Titanium Studio 1.0.7. The official release notes for Titanium 22.214.171.124 and Titanium Studio 1.0.7 provide further details on the features and fixes made available in these releases.
Video: What’s New in Titanium Mobile 1.8
New! Titanium Mobile Web Beta 2 SDK: Expanding Your Mobile Reach
Titanium Mobile 1.8 expands your reach beyond iOS and Android with the introduction of Titanium Mobile Web Beta 2. This all-new product gives Appcelerator developers the ability to develop both mobile apps and mobile websites from a single Titanium API. While we’re still innovating and improving Mobile Web, you can leverage the advantages of Titanium and HTML 5 to create engaging mobile web experiences that run in browsers on any device that share a common foundation with your native mobile apps. The Titanium Mobile Web SDK Beta 2 was previously in private beta and is now available to the entire Titanium community. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
New! Native APIs and Functionality for iOS and Android
The new 1.8 release pushes the number of Titanium mobile APIs for iOS and Android to over 3,000. New capabilities include:
- Platform Parity: 37 improvements aimed at making it easier to develop across iOS and Android, including improvements in namespace consistency.
- XML Module for iOS and Android approaches 100% DOM Level 2 compliance.
- New iOS-specific Functionality: Longpress and Pinch gestures on views, Register a file type with an app, High Density Screenshots and more.
- New Android-specific Functionality (Beyond V8): Embeddable video player, animation of backgroundColor, multiple attachments in the Email Dialog, gzip and deflate encodings in HTTPClient, plugins for WebViews and more.
- Updated System Requirements: Apps built with Titanium Mobile 1.8 are compatible with Android 2.2 or later and iOS 4.0 or later. Android 2.1 and iOS 3.1.3 are no longer supported.
Improved! Developer Productivity for Common Tasks
Productive developers are happy developers, and the new Titanium developer productivity features are going to make you very happy. To help you succeed faster than ever, we’ve made a number of improvements across the entire Titanium Mobile development lifecycle, including:
- Configuration Wizard: found in the new dashboard in Titanium Studio 1.0.7, the configuration wizard diagnoses Android and iOS configuration errors and ensure your SDKs are up-to-date.
- Code Snippet Library: Speed development by inserting code snippets drawn from common use cases. Instead of searching for examples within Kitchen Sink, go to the Titanium Studio Commands menu, choose “Titanium Mobile," type the desired phrase and press the tab key to insert the code into your app.
- API Doc Improvements: Reference documentation for more than 40 popular API calls have been updated for accuracy and completeness. And we’re just getting started. Look for more changes to API doc content and formatting in the coming weeks.
- Training Videos: Appcelerator’s popular and free training on-demand training videos are now accessible from the Titanium Studio Dashboard. Access more than 10 hours of classes and sample apps through the introductory "Zero to App" and intermediate "Building Native Mobile Apps" on-demand video training classes.
- Marketplace Integration: Learn about new and popular modules available that you can quickly download and add to your projects.
Video: What’s New in Titanium Studio 1.0.7
Titanium Week: Seven Great Webcasts featuring Titanium Mobile 1.8
We’ve created a great agenda for Titanium Week, January 5-13, to help you get the most out of the all of new Titanium capabilities and to succeed using the Titanium Platform. Check out and register for any and all of the following free webcast sessions:
- Titanium 1.8 For Module Developers
Thursday. Jan 5 @ 9AM PST
- What’s New in Titanium Studio 1.0.7
Friday, Jan 6 @ 9AM PST
- Welcome to Titanium
Monday, Jan 9 @ 9AM PST
- What’s New in Titanium 1.8
Tuesday, Jan 10 @ 9AM PST
- Best Practices in Mobile Development
Wednesday, Jan 11 @ 9AM PST
- Targeting the NOOK with Titanium Mobile
Thursday, Jan 12 @ 9AM PST
- Full-Stack Enterprise Mobile Application Development
Friday, Jan 13 @ 9AM PST
Titanium Week is your chance to learn from Appcelerator engineers, get answers to your questions and improve your Titanium skills. The content is suitable for both experienced and novice developers…so join in!
Thank You For a Great 2011!
As we approach the end of 2011, we want to express our thanks to the Titanium Community for all your activity, feedback, inspiration and, of course, your great mobile apps.
Because of your collective efforts, nearly 40 thousand Titanium-powered applications have been installed on over 30 million unique mobile devices—a 12-fold increase over last year!
Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.