APPCELERATOR LAUNCHES SUITE OF MOBILE CLOUD SERVICES AS PART OF NEW TITANIUM 2.0 RELEASE
Company Also Unveils Mobile Web Release Candidate; Announces Contest for Coolest App
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIF. – April 17, 2012 – Appcelerator®, the leading mobile platform company, today announced the launch of Titanium™ 2.0, which includes general availability of Appcelerator Cloud Services (ACS) and support for HTML5 mobile web apps. The new release drastically simplifies the process of integrating a broad range of cloud services into mobile apps – enabling not only Titanium developers but any native or mobile web developer to quickly create, configure and deploy rich, cloud-connected applications. Developers can use ACS to leverage all of the new Titanium 2.0 features and capabilities or can use it as stand-alone services in conjunction with developers’ choice of development environments.
“Our goal is to help every enterprise and developer quickly and easily create rich, cloud-connected mobile apps for any device and any platform,” said Jeff Haynie, CEO of Appcelerator. “Appcelerator’s Cloud Services enables developers to do three things really well: build, launch and scale full-featured mobile apps without the headache of building the backend infrastructure and services that are typically required. By opening the playing field for developers, we anticipate a broad rollout of mobile cloud services.”
Instant Mobile Cloud Capabilities
Appcelerator Cloud Services addresses the enormous demand for cloud-connected mobility by developers and the enterprise. The Q1 2012 Appcelerator/IDC Mobile Developer Survey showed nearly 60% of developers either using or considering the use of cloud services in their mobile applications, while IDC also forecasts that in 2012, 80% of enterprise apps are expected to be deployed on cloud platforms.
ACS helps companies integrate compelling cloud services like push notification or check-ins into their mobile apps quickly and economically. Underscoring its open and extensible approach, Appcelerator’s new solution enables app publishers using Objective-C, Java, PhoneGap, Sencha and HTML5 technologies to create and configure an instantly scalable server-side backend, add engaging mobile app features without writing server code, and deploy their cloud-connected app with the push of a button. Tasks that usually require costly server programming or tedious integration with multiple SDKs are performed through one simple interface. Developers simply pick which APIs to use and Appcelerator takes care of deploying and maintaining a full server stack that includes a database, search engine, file storage, and application logic.
At launch, ACS is offering fifteen of the most popular cloud-based mobile features, designed to drive deep and extended user engagement. The available cloud services include:
- User management: provide access, authentication and cross-platform controls.
- Photos: store, share, and publish photos from within the app.
- Photo collections: store, share, and publish photo albums from within the app.
- Places (rich location storage): harness location to provide better search results and pointed ads, for example, without setting up GIS or a latitude/longitude server.
- Social integration: enable customer login and authentication using Facebook and Twitter.
- Custom data objects: create and analyze data derived from searchable fields, such as location or interactions with other users to optimize app features and offers.
- Push notifications: push messages to customers and employees regardless of device and whether or not the application is running.
- Check-ins: enable check-ins from within any app.
- Status updates: make apps more social by enabling users to post status updates from wherever they are.
- Chat: embed IM within apps to allow multiple user and user group threads.
- Ratings and reviews: add ratings, reviews and “likes” to apps without having to build an entire rating machine and server-side infrastructure.
- Discussion forums: provide users the ability to post updates, reviews or other content and allow others to respond.
- Messaging and email templates: plug-in pre-built messaging and email templates.
- Client identification: cloud-connected apps help developers identify the classes of devices people are using to access apps, providing insight into how to better optimize content.
- Key values: simple, unstructured storage for any kind of content.
“Working with Appcelerator’s Titanium Platform and mobile cloud services has enabled our team to build really rich, feature-packed mobile and webs while collapsing the time to complete these projects from months to a few days,” said Aaron K. Saunders, Founder and CTO, of Clearly Innovative, an enterprise mobile solutions development shop. “Previously, we would have had to hire experts in PHP or Ruby on Rails to build the entire backend in order to support popular mobile app services such as user authentication, push notifications, and check-ins. Appcelerator removes that hassle.”
Web and Native App Development from One Code Base
As part of the Titanium 2.0 release, Appcelerator also announced its mobile web SDK release candidate, becoming the first mobile development platform to deliver an integrated hybrid, native, and HTML5 solution. The product extends Titanium support beyond native iOS and Android mobile applications and into HTML5 mobile web to reach the broadest array of devices. By offering both web and native development from a single platform, Appcelerator provides a path for app publishers that deliver rich experiences and quick time-to-market across the fragmented mobile OS and browser ecosystem.
Deploy Titanium Apps to the Mobile Web for a Chance to Win $1,000
There are more than 40,000 Titanium-built native apps in production today, and Appcelerator is giving developers an incentive to deploy those apps to the mobile web using Titanium 2.0’s mobile web capabilities. For each Titanium app that is deployed to the mobile web between now and June 1st, Appcelerator is offering a chance to win $1,000. The company will randomly choose five apps and offer $1,000 to each winner … so the more apps entered, the better your chance to win!
Full contest details are available at http://bit.ly/titaniumcontest.
Pricing and Availability
Titanium 2.0 and ACS are available immediately on a freemium pricing model, enabling developers to create fully-featured native, hybrid, and HTML mobile web apps for free. In addition, commercial versions of Titanium 2.0 and ACS are available under a variety of pricing plans based on usage levels of training, support, and services required.
Titanium 2.0 Webinar
Appcelerator will hold a webinar discussing the features and availability of Titanium 2.0 on Thursday, April 19th at 9:00am PDT. To register, visit Register for Webinar.
Appcelerator’s Titanium is the leading mobile platform of choice for thousands of companies seizing the mobile opportunity. With more than 40,000 applications deployed on 50 million devices, Appcelerator’s award-winning Titanium Platform leverages over 5,000 mobile device and operating system APIs to create native iOS, Android, and HTML5 mobile web apps. Customers who standardize on the Titanium Platform get to market 70% faster and can quickly optimize business results with analytics-driven insights into user behavior and app performance. Open and fully extensible, Titanium makes it easy to integrate data, content and services from a variety of sources into mobile applications to leverage best-of-breed capabilities. Appcelerator Cloud Services (ACS) provides instant social, location, communication and content features for user-centric mobility. Appcelerator’s worldwide ecosystem includes 300,000 mobile developers and hundreds of ISVs and integration partners. Please visit http://www.appcelerator.com.
# # #
Editor’s Note: (Artwork Available Upon Request)